Saturday, September 12, 2009

color in different media

An artist colleague, Donne Bitner, recently introduced me to a new surface medium. It is apparently used by sculptors, but Donne recommended applying it to board. It appears to be extremely hard, tougher and less delicate than molding paste, gesso or joint compound. The resulting texture is fascinating. I created a few pieces using this technique, applying layers of acrylic, pencil and graphite atop the hardened surfaces. Here are two examples.















After doodling into these small pieces (they measure no larger than 12" in any one direction), I yearned to return to painting large. Working rapidly, I produced this large acrylic piece: again the jury is still out on whether it is completed, but I think that I'll let it rest for a bit.













No comments:

Post a Comment