Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Aftermath


I've been contemplating the consequences of the earthquake in Haiti, the rains in California, the blizzards in the northeast... The endless accounts of devastation, rescue, survival and mankind's stubborn ability to rebound from seeming annihilation are spilling into my work.

In Storm Warning, left, I reflected on the stories of Floridians affected in 2004 by a stormy summer of hurricanes, starting with Charlie. Lives were upended, people uprooted, and yet, folks survived and moved on.



In Aftermath (left, below) completed this past week, I reflected on the stories of unspeakable loss and the tenacious endurance of hundreds of thousands of Haitians and the compassion of millions more who came to their aid. There is indeed light at the end of every tunnel and we are truly never alone in the world: we have one another.


2 comments:

  1. Pat -- not sure which title goes with which, but the "lighter" one on the bottom of this page is so beautiful. It exemplifies the way in which you grow as a painter with each canvas you touch. I can't wait to see this exhibit "in real life." Please make sure I have the dates so I can put the dates on my calendar.
    Josh Garrick joshgarrick9@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Josh! I am flattered. And I've amended this post to (hopefully) make it a little less confusing.

    Across the Universe opens on March 7th, 2010, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. at the Art League's Harris Gallery, located at 433 S. Palmetto Avenue, Daytona Beach. There will also be a gallery talk and panel discussion with Cheryl, Fran and me on Sunday, March 27th, from 2:00-4:00 p.m. Art historian and artist, Louise Lieber, will moderate. A few of the artists will be working at the Art League's studios on March 28th and 29th.

    ReplyDelete