Sunday, June 14, 2009

unpacking my thoughts

A few days before leaving for USC-Lancaster, I pulled out an unresolved older painting in storage. The gallery-wrapped canvas was narrow (48X24) and originally painted with a vertical orientation. A detail of the 2006 painting appears on the left.

When things don't work out, we paint into them. In this instance, I changed the orientation and my source, focusing on the theme of this exhibition. Playing with my materials, That's the Story of My Life emerged (depicted on the right), a few hours before leaving for South Carolina. I'm still tinkering with minor things in the latest painting. Like our lives, it too may morph into something different in the not-too-distant future. But for the most part, I will let it rest for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment